A few days prior to moving to Los Angeles, it’s time to put some things in motion:
- Visit the post office for a change of address packet. Be sure to tell your mail delivery person that you’re moving and ask that any mail that slips through be forwarded to you. While you’re at it, thank him or her for past service, because a little appreciation from you will help assure success.
- If you have a choice of utility providers, do your research. You might save money with a package of TV, phone, and Internet service. See what various providers have to offer, then get set up to have service when you move in.
- Let your current providers know that you’re planning to move and the expected date – then notify them again at the last minute.
- If you have service providers at your current home (lawn care, pool cleaning, etc.) give them plenty of notice that you’re planning a move.
- Hold a yard sale and/or make a donation to a non-profit with a thrift store. Instead of moving all those items you never use, simplify your move by lightening the load before moving day.
When the big day arrives…
The day you receive the key to your new home is an exciting one, but before you start moving in, you have a few more tasks to attend to:
- First priority! Change the locks. You have no idea how many people have copies of keys to those current locks, so think safety and security first and change them. If you’re handy, visit a hardware store. If not, call a locksmith.
- Do some deep cleaning. Yes – the previous owners probably cleaned before they vacated, but you’ll feel better if you either do it yourself or hire a service to come in and give everything another once-over. Get a steam cleaner in to sanitize the carpets, even if they look fine.
- If you’ve seen any sign of “varmints” in the house – get the exterminator in before you unload any of your possessions.
- If you plan to replace the carpets or paint any rooms – do it before you move in, simply because it’s easier.
As soon as you know when you’ll actually be moving to Los Angeles into that new home…
Go online and change your contact information with creditors, financial institutions, schools, and publications.
And don’t forget your friends. Just because we communicate electronically much of the time doesn’t mean your friends shouldn’t have your new address. (After all – they might want to come and visit, or send you a housewarming gift!)
If you haven’t found that new home yet… call me! I’ll help you find the perfect match for your lifestyle!
Are you considering a move in the near future? Powerhouse Real Estate is here to help you before, during, and after the process. Darryl has prepared an e-book “Home Seller’s Guide to Money Making Fix-Ups” that we would like to offer you or anyone you know.
To get a free copy, contact us on the site directly or our “24 Hotline” at 888.739.0922 Enter ID # 726
Visit our office at 433 N. Camden Dr. Suite 400, Beverly Hills, CA.